Resist With WOW Embossing Powders and Ink

Hello all,  well I'm back home now which is awesome, but I must say I had the best time away.  I learnt so much from the Tim Holtz educators course.  Today I am going to share a technique that I use often.  Working with Embossing Powders as a  resist and then adding inks to bring it out.  You can use other products such as chalk if you don't own any inks.  
Here we go.
Get together some embossing powder, I have used WOW Embossing Powder Clear Gloss Super Fine for this project. Stamps, I have used the Gratitude stamp set from WOW, clear Versa Mark, Distress Stain, a mixture of colored inks, I love my distress inks and have used Fired Brick, Mustard Seed, Broken China and Vintage Photo.  You will need a heat gun, some water and a damp cloth.  A non stick, heat resistant craft mat and card to work on.
 Start by stamping on your card with Versa Mark. Remember to refresh Versa Mark after each stamp.
 My stamp is black in the photo as I like to prime my stamps with a pigment ink,  one I can see better where I stamp and secondly when I use ink it spreads evenly when I stamp.
 Cover you whole card and then pour the clear Embossing Powder over the whole of card.  I just tilt my card up and let the powder run down onto a spare sheet of paper and pop it back into jar.  Don't tap card hard as this will cause the embossing powder to fall off, of course if you want a real distressed look that would be fine :-)
 Heat your embossing powder with your heat gun,  watch those fingers as the gun is very hot, ouchies.
 Let your embossing powder set which only takes a second or two and then apply Distress Stain all over your card.  Here I have used Antique Linen for my first layer.
 if you have excess stain like here,  get a small sponge and spread over,  or you can use your finger if you don't mind getting a bit of ink on them.
 Once you have heat set the distress stain,  start adding more layers of colours using your inks,  always start at the side of your mat and used circular motions to add colour to card.  This avoids and square blotches  to your work.
 This is what I have done adding my second layer,  its not finished yet,  more layers to be added.
 Spritz some water onto your hands and allow the water to drip off onto your card. 
 Heat set water,  if you feel you want more water marks, repeat above step, or if you feel you have added to much water add some more in. 
 Once you have got your desired look,  finish it off by adding another layer,  this time just round the edges with Vintage Photo to frame your work.  
 Get a damp cloth and lightly swipe over the embossed areas.  This will take any ink off that is sitting on top of your embossing and give you a cleaning looking project.
 Heat set
 And lastly embellish.  Here you can see the one I just completed and one that I am working on for a gift for a very special friend.  Sorry its not the whole project, as I want it to be a surprise!  Happy embossing everyone.  Hope you enjoyed my little tutorial.  If there is something in particular you would like a tutorial on, please fell free to email  at dcswaja@slingshot.co.nz or leave a comment! Happy Scrappin!  xox Donna


Comments

  1. Gorgeous colors against the white embossing powder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ruby Craft, for this I have used the clear, so what ever colour you have as a paper will come threw! cool aye, try different colour papers and different colour embossing powders to get a different effect! enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment